Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2012

52 Weeks of Fitness: Week 12 Recap

For the year of 2012, I have made a yearlong commitment to better fitness and health that will change my life forever. The way I see it, I've been "talking the talk" for way too long - it's about time I start walking. The plan is to use workouts from The New Rules of Lifting, gradually start eating better, run (either HIIT or for distance) on off-days, and do Kelly Starrett's Mobility WOD Project  Workouts. Here's how I fared this week:

Lifting:

This was Week One of Eight in the New Rules' "Hypertrophy II" Phase. The Hypertrophy point is where muscle-building takes center stage, so it's time to GET SWOLE.. 

Mondays are Upper Body workouts with a Push emphasis. This one was interesting: Every exercise called for 6 sets of 3 reps.

Wednesdays are Lower Body workouts, surprisingly without a bilateral squat exercise of any kind. 5 sets of 6 reps for a nice feeling of exhaustion. Interesting note here: my grip strength on the dumbells started to fail before the strength of my legs did. I hope that will improve in the future!

Fridays are Upper Body days focusing on Pulling exercises. I get to do curls, which is pretty odd for NROL. But hey, I'm not complaining! My guns are very grateful.


Nutrition:

During this week I decided to stop focusing so much on a calorie and protein bulk, and constrain my focus just down to protein. Unfortunately, I was on spring break eating many not-so-clean foods and getting 30-50 g less protein per day. Calling it a protein cycle and moving on.

Running/HIIT:

Didn't get any of these activities in, sadly. I'm thinking I may call them off until I get out of school for the summer - as my unintentional two-week break  shows, I've put myself into a very busy life. And busy lives call for sacrifices.


Mobility WOD:

No mobility WOD, either. However, I have been chilling out in K-Starr's squat more often, and have seen some extended hip mobility as a result. Cheers!

That's all for Week 11, just 40 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment