Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2012

52 Weeks of Fitness: Week 7 Recap

For the year of 2012, I have made a yearlong commitment to better fitness and health that will change my life forever. The way I see it, I've been "talking the talk" for way too long - it's about time I start walking. The plan is to use workouts from The New Rules of Lifting, gradually start eating better, run (either HIIT or for distance) on off-days, and do Kelly Starrett's Mobility WOD Project  Workouts. Here's how I fared this week:

Lifting:

This was Week Three of Six in the New Rules' "Hypertrophy I" Phase. The Hypertrophy point is where muscle-building takes center stage, so it's time to GET SWOLE. 


Monday marked a full cycle of the different rep changes in this workout phase! Now I can hopefully progress a bit easier because I know what weights I have worked with in these rep ranges before.

Wednesday's workout was brutal. I really pushed myself through 4x10 or squat and deadlift, but really didn't have much energy left to deal with split-squats or step-ups. I still did them, of course; just not as quickly or effectively as I would have liked.

Friday and Saturday had to be skipped due to a conference. I'm beginning to wonder whether I should consider Saturday workouts optional or not.

Nutrition:

Still working on getting protein up to par, but I did eat a bit cleaner this week. One thing I've noticed is that eating clean comes a bit easier if I eat a bit of oatmeal (roughly 3/4 cup, I'd guess) with breakfast. Keeps me fuller and keeps the desires for grains at bay.

Running/HIIT:

Running went downhill again this week, sadly. Still not top priority, so I'm not terribly concerned. I am looking into whether or not it would be beneficial to add a brief HIIT interval after my workouts, since HIIT can cause the body to release far more HGH than normal.


Mobility WOD:

Still not keeping up with these... I have had a bunch of random expenses crop up, and I need to purchase some basic equipment to continue through the MWOD workouts. So I'll have to jump back on after I weather this storm.

That's all for Week 7, just 45 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment