Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

52 Weeks of Fitness: Week 2 Recap

For the year of 2012, I have made a yearlong commitment to better fitness and health that will change my life forever. The way I see it, I've been "talking the talk" for way too long - it's about time I start walking. The plan is to use workouts from The New Rules of Lifting, gradually start eating better, run (either HIIT or for distance) on off-days, and do Kelly Starrett's Mobility WOD Project  Workouts. Here's how I fared this week:

Lifting:


This was Week Two of Four in the New Rules' "Break-In" Phase. This is the point where baseline strength standards will supposedly be established. Since this is one of the lighter parts of the year, I'm adding in Doberman Dan's 31 Days to Bigger Arms arm workouts.

Monday was a lot of fun. I added weight to everything I did, including moving from 95 lbs to 105 lbs on the deadlift (2 x 15). I also moved up in the Bigger Arms weights too.

Wednesday was not as much fun, although it did bring progress. This time around I managed to Squat 95 lbs at 2 x 15 again, and also bumped up weight on the Static Lunge, DB Row, and Swiss-Ball Crunch.

Friday was another solid weightlifting session. I bumped up ten more pounds on the deadlift without any issues, and moved up weight on the shoulder press and lat pulldown as well. During this session I met a new trainer at my home gym, who does a lot of Martial Arts and Crossfit work. I would LOVE to train with this dude sometime, but it will probably have to wait until after the completion of the NROL program.


Nutrition:


Nutrition went better this week. I improved my protein intake and again only binged twice on my net calories. I noticed a pattern for my binges based on the Loseit! data for the first two weeks. I tend to binge once a week for about 250 extra calories, and then a second time for about 750 extra calories.



Running/HIIT:


Again, no Running or HIIT for me. However, I did get to do some more walking in my Vibrams, which will help my feet acclimate quicker.



Mobility WOD:


I kinda fell off the bandwagon in Mobility this week. I did 3 sessions in one day on Sunday (not wise, but alright), and one more on Monday. However, I forgot to purchase the necessary supplies that KStarr told us to get! So I'm officially "that guy" until I get some supplies. On a more positive note, KStarr posted a new video for the first time in a while, which is great!



* I just returned to TCU, so it will be interesting to see how I can accommodate for great health in my typically busy schedule. I expect a small, short dip in progress, but we'll see.


That's all for Week 2, just 50 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment