Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Something weird that I do on Facebook...

Hello all,

I just thought I'd share a strange habit I recently picked up that has already started to pay off considerably. Rather than over-hype this revelation too much, I'll cut to the chase:

When I log onto Facebook, I put myself on the clock.

Literally. I pull out my handy-dandy iPhone, set a timer for 2 minutes, and log in. If I'm not done responding to notifications and messages by then, I say "oh well" and get off. Why? Because I noticed how much of a time suck Facebook was for me (and countless other college students) last semester, and I decided to do something about it. Thus far, this hasn't had any negative effects, in fact, it seems all positive.

I'm getting things done on Facebook in a short period of time, and using it more for keeping up with people who actually matter rather than creeping on people I kinda-ish-maybe recognize.

I'd encourage anyone reading this to try something similar. 2 minutes may seem somewhat Spartan, but it works for me. I'm guessing it's allowed me to cut down on at least 85% of my time spent on Facebook, which is quite a relief.

p.s. If you do try this, let me know how it works out for you via comment or email!

2 comments:

  1. A pretty interesting lifehack; although I'm not that much of a Facebook addict, I could use this for other things...like StumbleUpon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick,

    Good point! Even though I use this to reign in a mild Facebook addiction, the principle can apply to countless life processes. For instance, I sometimes count out seconds in my head when I shower - I find it tends to keep me moving on those sleep-deprived mornings when it's so easy to dawdle (esp. as a person known to fall asleep in the shower).

    ReplyDelete